Baldongan Castle, Co. Dublin, Ireland

Dublin Core

Title

Baldongan Castle, Co. Dublin, Ireland

Subject

Castle
Church

Description

Lantern slide of Baldongan Castle, Co. Dublin. Originally labeled 'D3 II 39' and with the title 'Baldugan.' Traditionally this castle is associated with the Knights Templar since its construction in the 13th century. It acted as the seat of the De Birmingham and the Barnewall families until the 16th century. It then passed to the Lords of Howth. The castle is rectangular in plan and there are towers on each corner. The ruins of the castle have worn away over time, but the ruined church still stands today. In the slide, the remains of the 15th century fortified bell tower is visible. There is a man standing on top of the tower, which measures 70 feet in height. The earlier church was granted to the Priory of St Mary at Kilixby c. 1190. A large group of people are seen gathered outside the ruins.

Creator

Sophie Hogan

Publisher

The Discovery Programme

Contributor

The Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland (RSAI)

Format

image/tiff

Language

EN

Type

Image

Identifier

RSAI, Lantern Slide, Box 09

Alternative Title

BOX09_035

Date Created

20/05/2015

Has Format

Scanned to 2400 dpi , 16 bit greyscale image with automatic exposure
Epson Perfection V750 Pro flatbed scanner

Is Part Of

RSAI Lantern Slide Collection

Extent

114.3mb
7559 x 7559 pixels

Medium

Lantern Slides

Spatial Coverage

Country: Ireland
County: Co. Dublin
Logainm code: http://www.logainm.ie/100002.aspx
Town/townland: Skerries
Logainm code:http://www.logainm.ie/127107.aspx
Irish National Grid East:O 25
Irish National Grid North: 60
Latitude: 53.553121
Longitude: -6.128762

Rights Holder

The Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland (RSAI)

Files

BOX09_035 copy.jpg

Tags

Citation

Sophie Hogan, “Baldongan Castle, Co. Dublin, Ireland,” Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, accessed February 5, 2023, http://rsai.locloudhosting.net/items/show/28475.

Embed

Copy the code below into your web page