View of Nelson's Pillar with horse-drawn tram.

Dublin Core

Title

View of Nelson's Pillar with horse-drawn tram.

Subject

Pillars
Nelson's pillar.

Description

Lantern slide of depicting a horse-drawn tram at the base of Nelson's pillar. Nelson Pillar, which was usually referred to as 'the pillar', was a large granite structure on which stood a statue of Horatio Nelson. It was built in 1809 and was erected on modern day O'Connell Street, then Sackville Street. It commemorated the victory of Nelson over the Franco-Spanish fleet at Trafalgar square. The pillar was blown up by the Irish Republican Army (IRA) On 8th March 1966.Today the site of Nelsons Pillar is occupied by the Dublin Spire officially titled the Monument of Light. Originally catalouged as 'D3 VIII, 83' with no further labelling.

Creator

Betty Maguire

Publisher

The Discovery Programme

Contributor

The Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland (RSAI)

Format

image/tiff

Language

EN

Type

image

Identifier

RSAI Lantern Slide, Box 16

Alternative Title

BOX16_017

Date Created

11/06/15

Has Format

Scanned to 2400 dpi , 16 bit greyscale image with automatic exposure

Is Part Of

RSAI Lantern slide collection

Extent

7559 x 7559 pixels

Medium

Lantern slides

Spatial Coverage

Country: Ireland
County: Dublin
Logainm County Link: http://www.logainm.ie/100002.aspx
Town: Dublin City
Logainm Town Link: http://www.logainm.ie/1375542.aspx
Irish National Grid East: 15
Irish National Grid North: 35
Position Source: www.logainm.ie
Latitude: 53.349816
Longitude: -6.260264

Rights Holder

The Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland (RSAI)

Files

box16_017 copy.jpg

Citation

Betty Maguire , “View of Nelson's Pillar with horse-drawn tram. ,” Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, accessed March 24, 2023, http://rsai.locloudhosting.net/items/show/27470.

Embed

Copy the code below into your web page