Church & Round Tower, Lusk, Co. Dublin, Ireland

Dublin Core

Title

Church & Round Tower, Lusk, Co. Dublin, Ireland

Subject

Round Tower
Church

Description

Lantern slide of a church and round tower, Lusk, Co. Dublin. Originally labeled 'D3 III 10' and with the title 'Lusk. RSAI.' Both the round tower and church are located in St Macullin's graveyard. The round tower forms a dethatched turret to the 15th century belfry tower. The tower contains 8 floors and is made from limestone. The tower is entered at the south-east side and its interior is lit by narrow windows. It was St. MacCullin who founded the monastery at Lusk around 450 AD, but the only remains of its Early Christian foundation is the tower. Apart from the West tower, the original medieval church was destroyed in the 19th century with the present structure built in 1847.

Creator

Sophie Hogan

Publisher

The Discovery Programme

Date

15th Century

Contributor

The Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland (RSAI)

Format

image/tiff

Language

EN

Type

Image

Identifier

RSAI, Lantern Slide, Box 10

Alternative Title

BOX10_059

Date Created

16/07/15

Has Format

Scanned to 2400 dpi , 16 bit greyscale image with automatic exposure

Is Part Of

RSAI Lantern Slide Collection

Is Referenced By

DU008-010004- (Church) DU008-010003- (Round Tower)

Extent

7559 x 7559 pixels

Medium

Lantern Slides

Spatial Coverage

Country: Ireland
County: Dublin
Logainm County Link: http://www.logainm.ie/100002.aspx
Town: Lusk
http://www.logainm.ie/16994.aspx
Irish National Grid East: O 22
Irish National Grid North: 54
Position Source: www.logainm.ie
Latitude: 53.526141
Longitude: -6.167332

Rights Holder

The Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland (RSAI)

Files

BOX10_059 copy.jpg

Citation

Sophie Hogan, “Church & Round Tower, Lusk, Co. Dublin, Ireland,” Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, accessed February 5, 2023, http://rsai.locloudhosting.net/items/show/26308.

Embed

Copy the code below into your web page